B.P. Gaming Planet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

R.I.P. Heavy

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chinese Numerology

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Asakura
Admin
Admin
Asakura

Male
Number of posts : 4861
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Character sheet
Health:
Chinese Numerology Left_bar_bleue1/1Chinese Numerology Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)
Character Name: Valentine
Race: Demon

Chinese Numerology Empty
PostSubject: Chinese Numerology   Chinese Numerology Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 9:45 pm

Quote :
Chinese numerology
Main article: Numbers in Chinese culture

Some Chinese assign a different set of meanings to the numbers and certain number combinations are considered luckier than others. In general, even numbers are considered lucky, since it is believed that good luck comes in pairs.

Chinese number definitions

Cantonese frequently assign the following definitions, which may differ in other Chinese languages:

1. 一(jɐt7) — sure
  2. 二(ji6) — easy (易/ji6)
  3. 三(sam1) — live (生/saŋ1)
  4. 四(sei3) — considered unlucky since 4 is a homophone with the word for death or suffering (死/sei2), yet in the Shanghainese, it is a homophone of water (水) and is considered lucky since water is associated with money.
  5. 五(ŋ5) — the self, me, myself (吾/ŋ4), nothing, never (唔/ng, m)
  6. 六(luk9) — easy and smooth, all the way
  7. 七(tsɐt7) — a slang/vulgar word in Cantonese.
  8. 八(bat8) — sudden fortune, prosperity (發/fat8)
  9. 九(gɐu2) — long in time (久/gɐu2), enough (夠/gɐu3) or a slang/vulgar word derived from dog (狗/gɐu2) in Cantonese

Some lucky number combinations include:

• 99 — doubly long in time, hence eternal; used in the name of a popular Chinese-American supermarket chain, 99 Ranch Market.
  • 168 — road of prosperity or to be prosperous together literal translation is "continuing to be wealthy"— many premium-pay telephone numbers in China begin with this number. It is also the name of a motel chain in China (Motel 168).
  • 518 — I will prosper, other variations include: 5189 (I will prosper for a long time), 516289 (I will get on a long, smooth prosperous road) and 5918 (I will soon prosper)
  • 814 — Similar to 168, this means "be wealthy, entire life". 148 also implies the same meaning "entire life be wealthy".
  • 888 — Three times the prosperity, means "wealthy wealthy wealthy". (E.g., the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing were designated by the Chinese officials to begin on the most auspicious date possible to ensure the success of the Games for its hosts: August 8, 2008—on the 8th day, of the 8th month in the 8th year of the new millennium.)
  • 1314 — whole lifetime, existence.
  • 289 — This combination is quite straight forward: ease in finding enough luck/fortune and holding it for a long time. (2 is easy, 8 is fortune, 9 is enough and/or for a long time)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerology#Chinese_numerology
I find this pretty interesting ;D
Back to top Go down
https://bpgamingplanet.forumotion.com/art-f3/lcd-production-t1724
Xovos
RP Team
RP Team
Xovos

Male
Number of posts : 957
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Character sheet
Health:
Chinese Numerology Left_bar_bleue0/0Chinese Numerology Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
Character Name:
Race: Other

Chinese Numerology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chinese Numerology   Chinese Numerology Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 11:50 pm

Hmm...

After reading through this, I suddenly remember several numbers that appear all over the place as I browse the internet...

- 42 - Was given as the answer to the "Utlimate Question" in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
4 means death/fortune and 2 means easy. So that'd be an unlucky number seeing as it's meaning would be something along the lines of "easy death" but a lucky number since it can mean "easy money."

Hmm.... The answer must be "Get rich quick or die trying"...

- 666 - The number of the AntiChrist.
6 is "easy and smooth, all the way."
After having this in mind, I think about various movies and TV episodes episodes that involve a character who sells their soul to get what they want. Someone doing this would be taking the easy way to get what they want under the 'easy and smooth' definition, and they would have gone to the farthest extent with the 'all the way' meaning as they do when they sell their souls.

- 1337 - A series of numbers used in leet-speak that refers to one being "Elite".
1 meaning' sure', 3 meaning live, and 7 being an undefined explitive.
I'm going to just say that this one leaves me a bit stumped..
Back to top Go down
Asakura
Admin
Admin
Asakura

Male
Number of posts : 4861
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Character sheet
Health:
Chinese Numerology Left_bar_bleue1/1Chinese Numerology Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)
Character Name: Valentine
Race: Demon

Chinese Numerology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chinese Numerology   Chinese Numerology Icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2010 12:23 am

:rofl: Lmao!

I like the 42 one... and the 666; I'm still trying to figure out the 1337 as well.
Back to top Go down
https://bpgamingplanet.forumotion.com/art-f3/lcd-production-t1724
Xovos
RP Team
RP Team
Xovos

Male
Number of posts : 957
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Character sheet
Health:
Chinese Numerology Left_bar_bleue0/0Chinese Numerology Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
Character Name:
Race: Other

Chinese Numerology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chinese Numerology   Chinese Numerology Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 12:33 am

Oh, I got another one, the movie 23.

It'd mean "easy life." In the movie, however, the number was absolutely everywhere and seemed to be tied to a bunch of bad stuff ('stuff' being used for a lose term because I have very little memory of the actual storyline at the moment and am too lazy to try to remember the whole thing...). Everything tied to that number kinda made life hard. =/
Back to top Go down
R&R
RP Team
RP Team
R&R

Male
Number of posts : 3059
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Character sheet
Health:
Chinese Numerology Left_bar_bleue100/100Chinese Numerology Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)
Character Name:
Race: Human

Chinese Numerology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chinese Numerology   Chinese Numerology Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 12:36 am

every thing is like that, you hear it once and notice it every where, even though it was there all along, like my number 115.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chinese Numerology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chinese Numerology   Chinese Numerology Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chinese Numerology
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
B.P. Gaming Planet :: Miscellaneous :: Other-
Jump to: