B.P. Gaming Planet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

R.I.P. Heavy

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The N-word

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Asakura
Admin
Admin
Asakura

Male
Number of posts : 4861
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Character sheet
Health:
The N-word Left_bar_bleue1/1The N-word Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)
Character Name: Valentine
Race: Demon

The N-word Empty
PostSubject: The N-word   The N-word Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 9:51 pm

Wikipedia says: "Nigger is a noun in the English language, most notable as a pejorative term and common ethnic slur for black people, and also as an informal slang term, among other contexts.

The word originated as a term used in a neutral context to refer to black people, as a variation of the Spanish/Portuguese noun negro, a descendant of the Latin adjective niger, meaning "black". Although criticized for its pejorative meaning since the 1800s, the term remained in general use in much of the world until around the 1960's - 1970s. It retains a place in popular culture and slang, however it is widely considered to be grossly offensive in mainstream English usage."

So, here's a few things I want to say... it's just like the word fuck, it has no meaning until someone slaps on a meaning for it. It's just a word. It has many purposes, both passive and offensive. Yes, it's an offensive word. But only to some. The reason (or so I've heard) why some people (mainly Blacks) uses that word nowadays is to beat down the word's meaning, the word's past.

"The term <nigger> has sometimes been extended in meaning so as to refer to all disadvantaged people. For example, Ron Dellums, an American politician, once said that "it's time for somebody to lead all of America's niggers". In 1978 musical artist Patti Smith employed the word in a similar context in her song Rock N Roll <Nigger>."

Now, given, it's mainly a word you don't want to be tossing around unless you're with your "homies" and they are "down with it". I'm not from the hood, personally, so I can't really say much or put too much input into something that's not truly connected to me.

There's a lot of people (outside of the Black community) who are very.... very.... VERY uncomfortable with the word. In either reading, saying, and/or hearing the word. The history of the word is very strong, in both the people who got called/referred by and those who got their asses killed for saying it. Unlike the word 'fuck', it's specific to only a race, and thus, it has been dubbed the racist-word.

So, all in all, you can't get mad at someone who is comfortable with the usage of the word (or their speech) or those who are uncomfortable by it. To keep both parties happy, the word is filtered because the ones who are comfortable do not necessary need to prove themselves that they are comfortable with the word.

Inputs? study

PS: I would like to point out that there was a flaw in the filter system and it wasn't my fault for stumbling across it when I placed a quotation marks in front of the n-word. And it did not filter niggers either. So, again, not my fault and all I was doing was quoting wikipedia (which can be access by everyone of any age group/race).
Back to top Go down
https://bpgamingplanet.forumotion.com/art-f3/lcd-production-t1724
Tiduseya
Casual
Casual

Male
Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Character sheet
Health:
The N-word Left_bar_bleue0/0The N-word Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
Character Name:
Race: Human

The N-word Empty
PostSubject: Re: The N-word   The N-word Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 10:05 pm

I've had my own experiences with this kind of issue, but nothing recently. I've used this word around African American and Caucasian friends alike, but have never really had to worry about it because of my history. I come off as an exceptionally "White" guy when you know me in person, but every once in a while I've been known to throw that word around. The people I've seen that are offended are usually these type of people: Either they are strong in their cultural/historical heritage, or weak in it. Because they fully understand the term or just think it's a word meant to be demeaning and degrading. Theres a fine line between the two though.
Back to top Go down
Claus
RP Team
RP Team
Claus

Male
Number of posts : 3596

Character sheet
Health:
The N-word Left_bar_bleue100/100The N-word Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)
Character Name: Claus
Race: Other

The N-word Empty
PostSubject: Re: The N-word   The N-word Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 8:04 am

hmph
and I just want to add on, that black people uses it a lot, especially in rap songs
Actually, I can hardly hear a good rap song that doesn't have that has @#$%#! in it
except for...
KICK PUSH KICK PUSH KICK PUSH KICK PUSH COAST
AND THEY WAY HE ROLL, JUST LOVERS IN THE TWINE WITH NO PLACE TO GO
Back to top Go down
Frusciante
Admin
Admin
Frusciante

Male
Number of posts : 4553

Character sheet
Health:
Character Name: Blaze
Race: Human

The N-word Empty
PostSubject: Re: The N-word   The N-word Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 3:31 pm

Paradox wrote:
hmph
and I just want to add on, that black people uses it a lot, especially in rap songs
Actually, I can hardly hear a good rap song that doesn't have that has @#$%#! in it
except for...
KICK PUSH KICK PUSH KICK PUSH KICK PUSH COAST
AND THEY WAY HE ROLL, JUST LOVERS IN THE TWINE WITH NO PLACE TO GO
First: There are no good rap songs anymore
Second: its okay for them to call themselves that but for some reason not another race may call them that cause its offensive to them, look paradox you can try to convince me to remove the word but it wont work i dont want someone to be offended racially!
Back to top Go down
https://bpgamingplanet.forumotion.com
Asakura
Admin
Admin
Asakura

Male
Number of posts : 4861
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Character sheet
Health:
The N-word Left_bar_bleue1/1The N-word Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)
Character Name: Valentine
Race: Demon

The N-word Empty
PostSubject: Re: The N-word   The N-word Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 5:27 pm

I personally feel comfortable with the word... it can seriously get you killed in the neighborhood I'm at @.@;;

I'm Asian, so um, nuff said.

Most rap songs nowadays are also very sexual... and sexist, in a way... oh, what has the world become to, lol.
Back to top Go down
https://bpgamingplanet.forumotion.com/art-f3/lcd-production-t1724
Heavy Confusion
Admin
Admin
Heavy Confusion

Male
Number of posts : 3500
Registration date : 2008-08-20

Character sheet
Health:
Character Name: 卍卐
Race: Other

The N-word Empty
PostSubject: Re: The N-word   The N-word Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 8:20 pm

Eh, Just a word.
Back to top Go down
https://bpgamingplanet.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

The N-word Empty
PostSubject: Re: The N-word   The N-word Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The N-word